Walk through the past

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011, hopefully.

I wonder why, my hand's kinda hurting today again. I'll update this later


Alright, so yesterday, the eve of the new year, Keong, Glenn, and Jia En dropped by my house. Glenn arrived first. I showed him Spirited Away. It's a really wonderful movie, so if you haven't yet seen it, you should. Then Keong arrived about an hour later and even brought his own PS2. They played FFX for a while, and then some Rumble Arena while I watched. Jia En came after that, and amazed us with some of his piano songs again. Then, I set up Warcraft 3 on one of my computers and they played DotA together. I only watched, since it's too troublesome to play with my left hand in a cast like this. Well, it was interesting. Glenn and Keong were hurling insults to each other across the room, while Jia En was quiet and occasionally laughing or expressing his shock at getting beaten. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing the whole time. Well, they won the game in the end.


After that they went back, while I was undecided on whether I wanted to go to Jonker Street later that night for the countdown of the new year. Well, in the end I asked my parents and they said it was alright for me to go, though I should be careful. In fact, my father was so paranoid about me going.

"Don't bring your wallet! Don't bring your phone! Wear a pair of pants with zips! Put your IC in the zip! Wear shoes! Don't go into the crowds! Call me when you meet you friends!"

And so much more. Hahaha, well, I brought my phone anyways. How would I contact him otherwise? At any rate, he made Malaysians out to be so much worse than they actually are.

It wasn't really crowded when I arrived there, though it was only about 8:40pm when I reached. I saw Hann Suk standing around there, looking restless. I walked with him around there, and then Thim Seng arrived shortly after. We walked on through the crowd and rows of stalls when Glenn called and said he had arrived. The time was 9:25pm. Did I mention that we were supposed to meet at 8:30pm?

We walked up and down and all around the area, stopping by certain areas to look at their wares. I saw many familiar faces there, like Li Yang, Mak, How Chong, Kok Ern... and some less familiar faces but nonetheless people I know. Later, we (Glenn, Thim Seng, Hann Suk and I) went to eat some cendol at the roadside store. Well, it wasn't anything spectacular. I've tasted much better before. Then, Diana and her friend, Ai Jie (?) joined us, though they didn't order anything. Glenn and Thim Seng also ordered some potato chips, which were really quite bad, to be honest. Well, after that we split up again, with Diana and her friend going on their own way while we took the opposite direction. After some walking around in the crowd, we went to the Melaka River.

"Melaka River. Very nice smell! Japan river. No smell!"

Took a breather there a while, and then Keong gave us a call. He was going to meet us, since he was in the area. We went up the Dutch fort, and also went to look at the Melaka Sultanate's water mill. After that, Keong joined us and we went right into the crowds for the countdown. We saw Diana and her friend escaping the crowd. It was very hectic. As in, seriously hectic. People were everywhere, and you couldn't move without pushing through the crowds. Well, somehow or rather, we managed to push ourselves into the center of the crowd where they were doing the count down.

5....4....3....2....1.... Happy New year, 2011! ! !

Poppers were cracking everywhere. Some fake snow thing was being sprayed in the air. Bubbles were being blown. Glitter paper was released into the sky. Everyone was shouting and screaming their lungs out. I guess I contributed to the noise too. Seriously, if someone managed to develop something that can convert sound energy into electrical energy, that person will be really rich.

Well, after the countdown ended, people were still sort of celebrating. Keong, Glenn, Hann Suk and I (Thim Seng disappeared) pushed our way through the other end of the street and saw a stage performance for a while. Then, Glenn and Hann Suk went back home, while I followed Keong back to DP. Along the way (it was almost 1am, by that time) Keong tried scaring me with some ghost stories and about how the area around our school would be suitable for a fatal frame game, or silent hill game. At any rate, when we reached DP, we saw Joel sitting down there too. We talked for a while, and then Joel went back home. Keong accompanied me a while longer, before joining his parents to see a movie. The Tourist, at 1am. My parents picked me up shortly after, and my day ended.

According to my Hazel's application, the walkmate, from 9-12, I took about 5000 steps, and from 12-1 I took about 3000 steps. But it's not that accurate, only good for a rough figure.




Grade 'A' Bus Stand



The Water Mill in all it's glory



View from the Dutch Fort




Glenn


Thim Seng.



Whew, that was tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment