Walk through the past

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stop to think

What are things that are special to me?

When you ask yourself that question, what's the first thing that pops into your mind?

To be honest, for me, the first thing I thought about was "Friends. Definitely my friends.". However, when I stopped to think for a while, I questioned, "Why didn't I think of my family first?"

Did I, subconsciously, place my friends in higher regard than my family? No, I don't think that's quite the reason.Was it then, that I thought my family wasn't special? A mother, a father, and sisters. Teachers; white collared workers. Maybe that's why, when you look at it that way, my family just seemed normal. But I doubt that's the reason as well. Maybe it was because, it was understood that every family is special and therefore, when you asked "What's special?", "family" was excluded from the answer because, well, it's a given that family is special. A "well, duh" kind of answer, so nobody bothers to think of their family first.

But that's not true. I admit, when I really thought about it, my family was nothing special. They may not be rich, they may not be poor, but we get by. But that's beside the point: they're my family, and that's all that matters, isn't it? They don't have to do anything to be special, because family is always special.

No comments:

Post a Comment