Walk through the past

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Results from Fruit Drink Tests were "special"

Today was my final measurement test for the fruit drink study I took part in since early February.

At the end of my measurement, I asked the researcher there, Kok Wei, to explain my results a little. He said my results, among all the rest, were very special. Out of the 80 people who took the study, only one-- me, did not follow their hypothesis.

Their hypothesis was that the carotenoids in the fruit drink would make our skin turn yellow and eyes brighter, also partly due to the vitamins inside. In my case, both results were not found. My skin did turn SLIGHTLY yellower (by a marker of 0.71, though I don't know what that means) but according to Kok Wei, he said that that was pretty negligible as others had their skin turning much yellower.

It's highly likely that the carotenoids and vitamins were mostly used to supplement my immune system when I had chicken pox (thus my speedy recovery). Then he also said that even after recovery, it was still used to improve my immune system as neither my skin nor eyes showed any changes.

Mine's a unique case because I got chicken pox during the study. There was a theory that the carotenoids and vitamins could improve our immune system, but there isn't any concrete proof of it as no study can purposely make their subjects sick before taking results. Therefore, my results are kinda interesting to them and also quite important as that sort of proves their theory that, when sick, carotenoids and vitamins will be used in improving our immune system.

Other functions include yellowing skin to protect against UV rays and brightening eyes (improving eyesight?).

Kok Wei said that he might send me e-mails in future to follow up on my case.


No comments:

Post a Comment