Walk through the past

Friday, July 26, 2013

Lights Up! NBS Welcoming event +Seremban Trip

24/7/2013

 NBS organized (in large part thanks to Bob and Celestine, I assume, for taking the initiative) a welcoming-come-introductory party for the freshers of Nottingham, e.g. mainly the July intake foundation students, for the first time ever on the date above.

At first, I was hesitant on going as I was still rushing to settle my fees, passports, CAS, visa, and a few other things concerning my UK application. Like how they made a mess of my offer letter. But let's not get into that.

Well, I steeled my resolve when Celestine contacted me personally and gave me the hefty assignment of being an MC, alongside her, for the event.

It's just something my mother used to teach me. Ask and ye shall receive. I have a very, very hard time turning people down when they request my help to do something. Usually because I don't have much of a reason to decline, at any rate. Did I mention that the movie, "Yes Man", had a great impact on my life? If you haven't watched it yet, I suggest you do. It's a Jim Carrie movie, so you should know that it's good. And also, I guess, it's become part of me to whole-ass one thing than to half-ass two things.

I drove up on Tuesday morning and met up with Celestine to discuss about our MC script as well as hand out some flyers and watch her dog, Royce.

After the lunch rush was over, I met up with Ah Cai and drove to Seremban to meet up with Sharon and Kit Wayne (Shireen couldn't join us) as Sharon had told me that she wanted to give me a gift before I left for UK. (I'm so touched :') ). Anyhow! As fate would have it, she forgot to bring it and so we instead went to watch a movie (Turbo, was kinda meh, not bad, not good) and then went to eat some stuff around the area. Sweet Hut, which served obscenely sweet stuff, which, at first was pretty good, but almost gave me a tummy ache, and then Yee Kee's beef noodles. I should mention here that I'm not a beef person as my family doesn't really eat beef. It's not like I can't, it's just that we don't so I've not eaten much beef before. So I needed some time to get used to the taste of the beef, but overall it was pretty enjoyable.

After that we headed over to Kit's house and chilled there by playing Dai Di and eating all his chocolates (as if I hadn't had enough sugar in my blood already) and soya bean. Muahahah.

Day ends, fast forward to the big day.

Bob, Celestine and I had breakfast/lunch together in Semenyih after she suddenly had the urge to eat Wan Tan Mee. I went back to sleep afterwards, and then in the evening, for tea/dinner we ate at Subway because she suddenly had the urge to eat there too. Hahah.

We arrived back in campus and then prepared the room for our event, Lights Up!, with the help of a few other committed committee members who happened to be free and willing to travel back/happened to be in the area.

We were holding our breaths in anticipation at whether our efforts could reach the students, whether our sincerity had made them keen on coming, and whether our HI ARE YOU A FOUNDATION STUDENT surprise attacks didn't scare them away.

THANKFULLY, a modest number of students came (exactly 14, exclusive of working members), which was about half of the max allowance we had. A pretty good number, I might add. Another thing to point out was that they were mostly girls. Wow.

Well, we had our games, and they were a good audience. I think we did pretty well. I also think that they seem to enjoy themselves, too. Had the chance to talk with a few of them and they were all pretty nice people too :)

The day ended without a hitch and tadaaa! A job well done, everyone. :)

I think I made the right decision to come. I felt super good after the event. Like I said before, it's a different kind of satisfaction. Sometimes I think I'm a two-in-one person. I'm a half of everything. I'm introverted and extroverted at the same time. So I need to find a balance of both. I can go into more detail in another post, I guess, if i have the mood.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment